Our surveys internationally are conducted via telephone or face-to-face interviews, depending on the country. The results are based on national samples, unless otherwise noted. Included here is detailed information, such as mode of interview, sampling design, margin of error, and design effect, for each country we survey, organized by country and by year.

For more general information on how we conduct our international survey research, visit here.

The margin of sampling error reported is based on all interviews conducted in a country. The margin of error takes into account the design effect due to clustering and weighting, where applicable. For results based on the full sample in a given country, one can say with 95% confidence that the error attributable to sampling and other random effects is plus or minus the margin of error. The margin of error is larger for results based on subsamples in the survey. Sample sizes and sampling errors for subgroups are available upon request. In addition to sampling error, one should bear in mind that question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of opinion polls.


Survey Methods for United States in 2017

Country: United States
Year: 2017
Survey: Global Attitudes Spring 2017
Sample Design: List-assisted Random Digit Dial (RDD) probability sample of landline households (25% of sample) and Random Digit Dial (RDD) probability sample of cell phone users (75% of sample) stratified by exchange and block within exchange. Individuals within landline households are selected using the youngest male or female method. Interviews in the cell sample conducted with the person who answered the phone, if age 18 or older. For both landline and cell samples, up to seven phone calls are made to complete the interview with the selected respondent. Pew Research Center undertakes all polling activity, including calls to mobile telephone numbers, in compliance with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and other applicable laws.
Mode: Telephone
Languages: English, Spanish
Fieldwork Dates: February 16 - March 15, 2017
Sample Size: 1,505
Margin of Error: 3.0 percentage points
Representative: Adults 18 plus in telephone households
Primary Vendor: Princeton Survey Research Associates International
Weighting Variables: Gender, age, education, race, Hispanic origin and nativity, region, population density, phone use and probability of selection of respondent
Design Effects: 1.45